Sunday 11 January 2015

Sabbatical 7

This past week, I have been almost completely preoccupied with two things: completing Jude's house refurbishment and organising Bob's funeral. There has been no time at all for study, but I don't regret a moment.

The pressure was really on this week for Jude. She had set yesterday (Saturday) as removal day, and the carpet-fitters were coming on Thursday. I admit I had my doubts that we would make it in time, and for the past week we have really put the hours in. Three times, there were 12-hour days decorating etc! But all well worthwhile. The transformation is almost complete, apart from a couple of bare walls where the plaster is not quite dry enough to paint. If you follow Jude on Facebook you can see the photos! It's impressive.

So yesterday, I hired a large Transit van and we took 3 loads of furniture and personal possessions over to the house. That was not quite the end though. She decided to spend one more night with us, rather than try and sort everything out yesterday. Today we loaded up the car with yet more stuff (mainly clothes this time) and I took her over to spend her first night in her new home. It was quite emotional. Jude is the only one not to have gone away to uni, so it was the first time she has left the nest. And for me and Les: our 'baby' has gone, and we are empty-nesters after nearly 39 years. It will feel very strange, but we are so proud of our 4 offspring who all now live independent lives. Jude's attitude and accomplishments over the past few months have been amazing. I've told her she could well go into property development as an occupation!

Bob's funeral (actually, a celebration of his life, following private cremation) was one of the most remarkable services I have ever attended. Over 850 came to our parish church, which can only really seat 350 comfortably. But with extra seats, and standing room only - some outside, with extra sound relay - we managed. It was a long service, but so full of thankfulness for many aspects of Bob's character and ministry. People from many walks of life were there: his large family, many friends, former colleagues, and some who have simply received his ministry and just wanted to say 'thank you'. His family said he would have loved it, which I always think is the highest praise of a funeral service. For myself, I reflected that Bob had been a constant in my life almost since I was ordained. Like many, I had often valued his wisdom, his solidity, his love of life, his positive outlook. So important for one like me, who can sometimes be a bit of an Eeyore!

A week of beginning and ending. Strangely, in both, tears and laughter, sorrow and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment