Sunday 7 September 2014

State of the Union

In just a fortnight's time, we may no longer be a united kingdom. As far as I know, I have no Scottish blood in me, but we have very good friends who are Scottish and we have had many a happy holiday north of the border. I view the prospect of separation with dismay, though I admit it is hardly likely to impact on me in any significant way. It's not so much the effects of separation as the logic. In a world where there is division (often forced) along ethnic or religious lines, it seems to me crazy actively to promote political and economic separation. I have a feeling that history will not judge Alex Salmond kindly. More than ever, surely, this is a world which desperately needs strong alliances and economic stability. I have the same concern about the growing clamour for England's separation from the European community,

A few years ago, a theologian by the name of Walter Wink wrote a book called Engaging the Powers. In it, he claimed that behind state, governmental, and corporate institutions there lies a Power, which might simply be described as 'the will to be', above and beyond the individuals that comprise them. So corporate action might be regarded as the outward expression of an inner spirituality. I found myself wondering what is the Power behind our English nation. The word 'supremacy' came to mind: through centuries resistance to enemy attack, of empire, colonialism and commonwealth we are used to thinking of ourselves as somehow impregnable, unconquerable. I wonder if it is this that the Scots are reacting against (what is their Power?). And, although any sense of supremacy must have evaporated surely many years ago, perhaps the desire to assert ourselves somehow remains - hence the 'go it alone' attitude which still appears in the language of some politicians and parts of the media.

Now more than ever we need the language of partnership and alliance both internally and internationally. In a funny kind of way, we are confronting the same issue here in Mossley Hill! This month, we begin a new chapter in the life of our Team ministry. The new minister (Bill Addy) coming to St Barnabas enables that church to find a new confidence and self-expression within the Team; and I at All Hallows, Alan at Mossley Hill church might find the same there. However, I do not regard this as the end of 'Team'. Just a moment for re-examination of our relationship. Instead of seeing Team as a monolithic structure (which, if I'm honest, I have tended to do) we might now see ourselves as joint contributors to each other's life and growth as partners and co-workers for God's kingdom. In microcosm, a model for a new united kingdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment