Friday 16 May 2014

Lindisfarne

I didn't mention last time that we have a new bishop, Paul Bayes. He is currently, Bishop of Hertford - Diocese of St Albans, from which I originally came. So he must be good! Actually, he seems to have many credentials for our diocese: ecumenically trained, and with great experience in evangelism, church planting, and 'new ways of being church.' I'm sure we will welcome him with open arms, and with a great deal of prayer.

Yesterday, I returned from Lindisfarne where I had been on retreat with 11 other members of our churches. It was a wonderful few days, blessed by mainly good weather, and with excellent food and hospitality. There's something about that place that just draws you into itself from the moment you arrive, and the worship in the parish church - though with familiar liturgies - seems to be fresh and invigorating. Lindisfarne is 'the cradle of English Christianity', from where centuries ago Aidan and his disciples left, schooled in prayer and godly living, to bring the Good News to our ancestors. It is a place of blessing, which somehow sends you away wanting to bless others, with a joyful heart.

I have booked another week next year - 4 nights this time - 18-22 May 2015. So book it now, if you're interested in joining me!

This year, our thoughts were led by a good friend of mine, Graham Booth, who is one of three Guardians of the Aidan & Hilda Community, of which I am a member. His theme was 'God in Creation' and the journey of faith. He spoke about the 'macro' and 'micro' aspects of God's world: the huge vistas of skies and seascapes, and the tiniest details of the plant and insect world. All speaking of a God of infinite imagination and creativity. We looked at several relevant Bible passages, together with quotations from writers, ancient and modern. How about this from Abraham Lincoln? - I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heaven and say there is no God. Developing a sense of awe and wonder in creation is surely essential for our worship of God.

I had my own experience of this as I went walking around the island one afternoon. On the north-east corner of the island, great breakers roll in from the North Sea. They were big enough when I was there, but clearly had been bigger in the past. Near the cliff there was a great mound of large pebbles and rocks, together with large lumps of wood, which had obviously been deposited by a rough and wild sea. Fearsome power! By contrast, in the meadow areas, among many buttercups and daisies - the most prominent of meadow flowers - there were some tiny, pink perfectly formed flowers with 6 or 8 petals, no more than 2 or 3 millimeters across. I have no idea what they were, but they were exquisite in their beauty. 'The Lord God made them all' - roaring waves and minute flowers, each calling attention to our Creator.

So back to life in Liverpool,with a good heart. As always, after a retreat, I try to put into practice some of the things I have learned while away. Retreat to advance, as the saying goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment