Sunday 17 March 2013

Another Invitation

I haven't blogged for a while - been on holiday. And while I was away, a new Pope. First signs are good. I loved the way he bowed his head and asked the crowd in St Peters Square to pray for him. There's something so profound about silence in the company of 10s of 1000s. And then what a way to unite Christians, inviting them to say the Our Father with him. I'm also impressed at his record of solidarity with the poor, and doing away with some of the trappings of the Papacy. 'Carnival time is over,' he is alleged too have said as he refused to wear Pope Benedict's silk and ermine cape!

Last Sunday, I heard the Dean of York (Vivienne Faull - ex curate of Mossley Hill) speak about the benefits of singing. It connects us with others - for example, a mother singing to her baby - and with our own past (ever listened to the Soundtrack of my Life on a Saturday morning, Radio 4?). In a religious context, it also connects us with God. I'm really enjoying singing Mozart's Requiem with the Oriel Singers at the moment. If you're in Liverpool and free next Saturday (23rd) why not come along to St David's, Childwall at 7.30 to hear it?

No comments:

Post a Comment